- Get involved
- For audience
Krasnoyarsk, Surikova Street, 26See on map
The oldest of surviving stone buildings of Krasnoyarsk is the landmark of the Yenisei School of Siberian Baroque
The Cathedral of Intercession is one of the jewels of the downtown district.
It is the oldest surviving stone buildings in Krasnoyarsk where all major religious events of the city are held.
The cathedral was built in the 18th century, and was financed by public donations. The local congregation members did all the manual work on the construction site: they brought sand, bricks and water, prepared quarry stones and lime mixture, etc.
In the 20th century the building underwent major changes. The dark sienna facade was repainted as brick red, and the roof was painted green. In the 21st century the cathedral was partially repainted to match the original colors: the walls were once again painted white, and the roof was first painted sky blue, and in 2012 - green.
The Intercession Cathedral has a rich and eventful history. During the times of persecution of the church, services were not held here, and the building was used for the needs of a military base, and then was turned into a sculpture studio and an exhibition hall.
Krasnoyarsk Territory, Ovsyanka Settlement, Schetinkina Street 24, 26, 35See on map
Place Where Great Russian Writer Was Born and Where He Lived
The memorial museum of Viktor Petrovich Astafyev in the Settlement of Ovsyanka, where the writer was born, is a branch of the Krasnoyarsk Regional Museum of Local Lore, which includes Astafyev’s Museum House, and the museum dedicated to his novel “The Final Bow,” better known as the Writer’s Grandmother’s House.
The Museum House shows a thoroughly restored study of the writer and the main room of the hut, as well as the guest house for the writer’s friends. The museum collection includes Viktor Astafyev’s personal belongings and his furniture. A sculpture in the yard shows the writer sitting on a bench with his grandmother, Maria Semenovna.
When it was decided to turn Astafyev’s grandmother’s house into a museum, the organizers found that the hut was too dilapidated. It was decided to tear it down, and build instead a typical peasant estate of the 1920s-1930s. The estate was reconstructed in 2004 in the minutest detail. The project was based on eyewitnesses’ accounts and Astafyev’s book “The Last Bow.” An exhibition telling the story of peasants’ lives, a barn and a cellar were set up in the courtyard. The solemn opening of the museum took place on May 1, the day of Viktor Astafyev’s 80th birthday.
The oldest square in the city’s historic downtown.
Ploschad Mira is one of the local residents’ favorite locations for walks and wedding pictures. The Philharmonic Society where major concerts and festivals take place, a monument to Russian traveler and diplomat Commander Nikolay Rezanov, and the Arch of Triumph, the historical gateway to the city are all located in the square. Where the arch now stands, there once stood the Savior Tower of the Krasnoyarsk prison. It was here that the Cossacks supposedly first stepped onto the bank of the Yenisei. During the Great Patriotic War this was where garrison barracks had stood, from where soldiers were dispatched to their next service destination.
Ploschad Mira appeared on the place of the former Krasnoyarsk Prison when it burned down in 1773. Merchants gathered here once a week. Therefore, the square was first called Bazarnaya (Market Square), and then Starobazarnaya (Old Market Square). It had several more names after that, Ploschad Prosvescheniya (Enlightenment Square) and Ploschad Iskusstv (Arts Square).
Krasnoyarsk, Sverdlovskaya Street, 293See on map
The only zoo to the east of the Urals with giraffes and penguins.
Roev Creek Flora and Fauna Park annually welcomes some 600,000 visitors. It has long become one of the symbols of Krasnoyarsk. On weekends hundreds of city residents and guests come here to watch a playful polar bear, pet and feed little goats, and walk around the colorful flower beds.
Roev Creek is the only zoo to the East of the Urals that has giraffes, penguins, chimpanzees and many other exotic animals in its collections.
The park was opened on August 15, 2000. Most of the animals in the initial collection came from Stolby Nature Sanctuary, with more coming from the zoo in Novosibirsk. Today the Zoo boasts a collection of more than 6,000 animals, birds and other creatures.
Roev Creek has been equipped with everything necessary for recreation: benches and gazebos have been installed along the alleys, an entertainment zone with rides and several cafes are open. Other nearby attractions include the Dinosaur Park with ancient animal models that come alive, and the Treasure Island Amusement Park.
Krasnoyarsk, Karyernaya Street, 26aSee on map
The only state nature sanctuary in Russia created upon the initiative of local residentsStolby Nature Sanctuary is a showcase piece, a brand of Krasnoyarsk Territory and City of Krasnoyarsk, one of the favorite vacation spots of Krasnoyarsk residents and guests of our city who come here to get a charge of energy and good health. The combined length of all hiking trails in the area is 67 km.
Stolby is located on the right bank of the Yenisei, on the North-Western ridge of the Eastern Sayany Mountains, just 3 km from the south-western border of Krasnoyarsk. The nature sanctuary occupies the area of 47,219 hectares and extends 34 km from the northwest to the southeast. It is a typical mid-mountainous taiga landscape.
The sanctuary was opened on June 30, 1925, and got its name for a reason. The main attraction of the park are the syenitic rocks shaped by nature like giant figures of animals, people and mythological creatures, and a unique system of tracks and passages. There’s a total of 189 rocks and rock formations. The sanctuary protects 828 species of plants, 213 species of birds and 61 species of mammals.
Krasnoyarsk, Lenina Street, 98See on map
Cossack Estate of the Late 19th - Early 20th Century in the Heart of KrasnoyarskThe Museum Estate of Vasily Ivanovich Surikov is a Cossack estate of the 19th - early 20th century, which includes the artist’s family’s house, an annex, outbuildings and a kitchen garden. Thousands of people come here to get immersed into the unique atmosphere of an old Siberian town, feel the spirit of olden times.
The two-storied house made of larch wood was built in the early 1830s and protected from fires by a stone wall, the brandmauer. Great Russian artist Vasily Ivanovich Surikov was born in this house on January 12 (January 24 New Style), 1848. In the 1930s, the daughters of the painter gave Surikov’s house as a present to the city.
The museum in the house was opened in 1948, in time for Surikov’s centennial anniversary. Living rooms with original furnishings, dishes, clothes, household items, photos and personal belongings of Praskovya Fedorovna and Alexander Ivanovich Surikovs’ can be seen on the first floor. The artist’s works are displayed on the second floor of the house.
The museum is being actively developed; its staff carries out research and education programs, organizes exhibitions, lectures, quests, intellectual games and workshops.
Krasnoyarsk, Dubrovinskogo Street, 84See on map
One of the oldest museums of Siberia and the Far East, one of the largest in Russia
As of today, the collection of the Museum includes around 470,000 exhibits. The exposition spans the history of Yenisei Territory from the ancient times to today. Various sections are dedicated to paleontology, zoology, archaeology and ethnography of the Territory. In particular, the archaeological collection, one of the largest in the museum is as old as the museum itself. One of the largest and most famous exhibits is the full-size mammoth skeleton. It was first shown to visitors in 1936.
The Krasnoyarsk Museum was opened on February 12, 1889. Since 1914, it was located in the pavilion built in the Egyptian style. In the 1920s this cultural establishment was renamed State Museum of Yenisei Territory, and in 1935 it became Krasnoyarsk Regional Museum of Local Lore.
Krasnoyarsk, Stepana Razina Street, 51, Karaulnaya GoraSee on map
A symbol of Krasnoyarsk and one of the city’s main landmarks
Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Chapel is located on Karaulnaya Gora
The 15-meter tall octagonal brick tower in the old Russian style was built in 1852-1855. The construction was financed by famous Krasnoyarsk gold producer and philanthropist Peter Kuznetsov.
Famous artist Vasily Surikov often worked on his sketches on the observation deck in front of the chapel. In August 1887, great Russian scholar and inventor of the radio Alexander Popov watched the solar eclipse from there. In 1977, a granite memorial plaque was installed on the east facade of the chapel in commemoration of this event.
Paraskeva Pyatnitsa Chapel is considered one of the symbols of Krasnoyarsk. It is depicted on the front of the ten ruble note. The building is considered a federal monument of history and architecture. The observation deck next to the chapel is one of the best spots offering a panoramic view of Krasnoyarsk, especially at night when thousands of lights are switched on across the city.
Initially, there had been a wooden guard post built there, and a Cossack regiment stood guard against sudden attacks of the enemy.
Krasnoyarsk, Mira Boulevard, 73See on map
One of the oldest theaters in Siberia and Russia.Krasnoyarsk Drama Theater is named after the famous Russian writer and poet Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin. The building was constructed in 1898-1902 as a community center and theater, and it is one of the oldest theaters of Siberia and Russia. Over many years of its history, theater productions earned appreciation of audiences and theater professionals alike.
Since recently the theater was transformed from a traditional repertoire theater into a theater of many genres. The troupe of the theater regularly produces innovative shows based on contemporary versions of original plays.
The large-scale reconstruction project of the theater, which took three years and was completed in 2015 became an important event in the history of Krasnoyarsk. Now the main auditorium of the theater boasts cutting-edge equipment, modern sound and lighting. Nine hoisting mechanisms have been placed above the stage, allowing to transform different planes and create various compositions of elements.
Despite its respectable age, the theater bubbles with youthful energy. New creative projects are being developed, young theater directors present their works, two smaller stages are open, the theater engages young authors.
Krasnoyarsk, Ostrov Otdykha 6See on map
The only such sport venue in Russia and the largest of its kind in Europe.
SportEx Extreme Sports Center in the only such sport venue in Russia and the largest of its kind in Europe. This is an innovative sport project that has been created for development of modern and extreme kinds of sports.
The Center is comprised of three large blocks: a capacious skating park (4,032 square meters in area) with various figures, and spacious gymnastics and training halls. The center offers convenient and comfortable conditions for biking, rollerblading, parkour exercises, acrobatics, and trampoline jumping. It is also often used as a venue for Territory-wide and country-wide competitions.
SportEx welcomes not only the fans of extreme kinds of sport but also those who would just like to jump on a trampoline or dive into the foamed rubber pit. Adults and children gladly visit this place when no teams are training.
Krasnoyarsk, Bograda StreetSee on map
Main square of Krasnoyarsk
Teatralnaya Ploschad is considered the main square of Krasnoyarsk. It is here that all main events are held, such as the City Day, carnivals, fairs, concerts, etc.
The City Government building with the famous clock tower that looks like the Big Ben in London, Krasnoyarsk Hotel, the Building of the Yenisei River Fleet, and the building of the Krasnoyarsk State Theater of Opera and Ballet are all located here.
In 1995, a monument to writer Anton Chekhov was set up at the lower level of the square, and the light music fountain was opened in 2001, becoming one of the most spectacular landmarks of the city. Other decorative elements of the square include a sculpture of Apollo on a thirteen-meter tall pedestal, figures of two lions copying the posture of Egyptian sphinxes, and the fountain Rivers of Siberia.
The square had several names throughout its history: Lesnaya, Staroostrozhnaya, Teatralnaya, Ploschad Trekhsotpyatidesyatiletiya Kranoyarska. It was once again renamed Teatralnaya Ploschad (Theater Square) in 2005.
The Yenisei is one of the greatest rivers on the planet and the most copious river in Russia
The name of the river comes from the Evenki word ionessi, which means “a large body of water.” Residents of Siberia call the river Yenisei Our Father.
The source of Yenisei is in the Republic of Tuva in Kyzyl; the river empties into the Kara Sea. It serves as a natural border between Western and Eastern Siberia. From the Sayany to the Arctic Ocean the river passes through all the climatic zones of Siberia; camels roam where the source lies and polar bears can be seen at the estuary.
According to statistics, the Yenisei is the fifth longest river in the world, 3,487 km long, behind only the Amazon, the Nile, the Yangtze, and the Mississippi. The river basin is 2,580,000 square kilometers in area, second only in Russia to the basin of the Ob.
Boat cruises on the Yenisei are becoming increasingly more popular among tourists. During the boat trip the tourists marvel at the natural wonder of confluence of two rivers, where the blue waters of the Angara merge with the darker waters of the Yenisei, and the border between the two masses of water is clearly visible.
Moreover, the Yenisei is also an attractive fishing destination, with 46 species and subspecies of fish living there, including nelma, sturgeon, omul, Siberian vendace, muksun, asiatic smelt, and others.